The Abrasive Wheels course is designed to help employers to meet their legal obligations regarding training and competence of employees working with Abrasive Wheels under the Provision and use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER 98).
What you'll learn
- Applicable PUWER 98 regulations
- Hazards arising from the use of Abrasive Wheels
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome prevention
- Angle Grinder applications
- Abrasive wheel types and identification symbols
- Inspection for damage, handling and storage
- Grinding wheel and spindle speeds
- Guards and work-rest adjustment
- Wheel Mounting – components and job sequence
- Wheel truing, dressing and balancing
- Precautions in the use of Abrasive Wheels
- Portable grinding machines
- Grinding wheel problem recognition
To enable candidates to recognize the specific hazards associated with the use of Abrasive Wheels and recognize the types and methods of protection necessary to avoid danger. To demonstrate techniques, and for trainees to practice the correct methods and procedures for mounting, dressing, operating and maintaining Abrasive Wheel equipment.
1 day course.
The practical content will be based around our training equipment in our engineering training centre in Kent. If training is to be on-site then practical work can be on the actual equipment that the candidates will work on or a range of similar training equipment.
A written test is part of the course and assesses knowledge gained during the course. A course completion certificate with the test mark will be issued on completion of the course.
The course details shown are based around working with static abrasive wheel machines i.e. surface grinders, bench grinders and pedestal grinders.
If you have a requirement to include handheld grinders please inform us before booking.
All our standard courses and bespoke courses may be delivered on-site at IPS or customer premises.
These courses can be used in conjunction with an NVQ programme to support and supplement the practical skills requirements.